Facts about Tonbridge Castle

In 1898 the council purchased the castle and its grounds for the people of Tonbridge and castle walk was constructed as access to the grounds. Some residents were against their council borrowing a sum that they thought was unnecessary. But, with most of the town behind it, the council found the money and, in April 1898, the castle and 14 acres of land became the property of Tonbridge, " for ever."

The castle grounds were officially opened, with appropriate ostentation, on 23rd May 1900.

1899 Restoration of and maintenance work on gatehouse and walls.

In the basement of the castle is a well which is 38 feet deep. This would originally have been a dark area under three floors above, and therefore secure in times of attack.

1899 - The council purchased the castle and its grounds for the people of Tonbridge and castle walk was constructed as access to the grounds. 

Click here to move on.

Back to Timeline